The cliff dwellings were located around the inner face
of the "well".
Outside the Well, the ancient peoples utilized the
water for irrigation by channeling it through a manmade ditch to their
One would think that this would be an ideal place to
live: in the middle of the desert, yet assured of a constant
year-round water supply.
However, in spite of this, the people who lived here
left the area round 1300-1400 AD.